Italian Quinoa Recipe Casserole
Italian Quinoa Recipe
Each time we make this quinoa recipe it reminds us so much of bruschetta, but without the bread. The taste is similar and is a great way to eat a bruschetta flavored dish while adding quinoa to the meal. Those who know us understand how much we love to bring guacamole to a party. But here, we are going to say it… this casserole recipe is our 1st love. And, it goes so fast whenever we bring it as a covered dish. This casserole is eaten so much quicker than any guacamole when they are sitting side by side. So, if you want to be a hit at your next get together, bring this Quinoa Cass Recipe. There is a vegan option included in this recipe.
Fresh Basil – 12 Leaves, Chopped
Fresh Oregano – tbsp
Red Pepper Flakes – ½ – 1 tsp depending on your heat tolerance
Garlic – 2 Cloves, Minced
Onion – Chopped
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Cherry Tomatoes – 9 ounces, halved
Mozzarella Cheese (Or Vegan Alternative) – 1 Cup Shredded
Romano Cheese (Or Nutritional Yeast) – ½ Cup Finely Ground
Tomato Sauce – 8 ounces of Your Favorite Sauce
Quinoa – 2 ½ Cups When Cooked
Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
What to do
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cook the Quinoa according to package directions to yield 2.5 cups of cooked Quinoa.
3) Place half the Olive Oil into a heated medium sized frying pan.
4) Sautee the Onion until translucent.
5) Add the Garlic and sauté until the garlic slightly browns.
6) Lower heat. Then, add your favorite Tomato Sauce and cook until sauce begins to bubble. Add the Romano Cheese (Or Nutritional Yeast). Stir until combined. Then remove from heat.
7) While the sauce is heating, halve the Cherry Tomatoes.
8) In a bowl, mix the Oregano and Red Pepper Flakes with the Tomatoes. Split the mixture in half.
9) Once the Quinoa is cooked, place into a large heated pan to toast one side of the Quinoa. This methodology is similar to making fried rice. Do not stir. Leave undisturbed for 5 minutes, or until brown on one side.
10) In one of the bowls with the Tomatoes and Spices add the Toasted Quinoa, Sauce Mixture, half the Fresh Basil, and half the Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (Or Vegan Alternative). Mix thoroughly.
11) Add Salt and Pepper to taste
12) Grease a baking dish with the remaining Olive Oil.
13) Evenly spread the mixture into the greased baking dish.
14) Place the remaining Tomatoes on top of the mixture.
15) Add the remaining Mozzarella Cheese (Or Vegan Alternative) to the top of the Tomatoes.
16) Top with the remaining Basil.
17) Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy this Italian Quinoa Recipe. For another easy recipe follow this link for our Simple Guacamole Recipe.