Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe
Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe
What do we love about our Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe? Well, for starters, this recipe is a one-pot dish. Yes, you read that correctly. We have designed this meal to be made in one pot to reduce the dirty dishes. We all have enough to do during our busy days. The last thing we want is to create more work when we are making dinner. All of the ingredients go into the same pot, including the lentils. Also, there is no need to precook the lentils. Instead, you can adjust the liquid ingredients, as we described below, to get your ideal tenderness.
What else do we love about one of our favorite lentil vegan recipes? Well, when it comes to the versatility of a recipe, this one is top-notched. Once you have prepared this lentil dish, you can eat it in a variety of ways. Here are some of the ways we love it.
One great way to eat this Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe is to simply place it over some steamed brown or white rice. Another terrific way to eat these lentils is in your favorite wrap. A few dashes of hot sauce works fantastic as well.
Another tasty way to enjoy these lentils is with some tortilla chips. We have also been known to toss this recipe over some penne for a different, yet delicious pasta dish.
Now, when it comes to preparing this recipe, as we mentioned above, the amount of water you use is dependent on how soft you like your lentil to be when cooked. We like it when our lentils are still a bit firm. So, for us, we use only use one cup of water when making this lentil recipe. Feel free to start the recipe the same way. Then, when the dish is nearly cooked, add the extra one-half cup of water should you prefer a softer lentil.
Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe Ingredients
- Onion – Small, Medium Diced
- Lentils – ¾ Cup
- Orange Juice – 1 ¼ Cup
- Water – 1 -1 ½ Cups
- Cinnamon – Ground Spice ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin – Ground Spice ½ Teaspoon
- Cloves – 4 Dried
- Salt – To Taste
How to prepare our Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe
- Let’s start this one-pot recipe by peeling and medium dicing the small onion. Once diced, place the onion into a 3-quart pot.
- Next, rinse the lentils thoroughly. Then, place the lentils into the same pot that now has the onion.
- For this step, we will be adding the liquid. To the pot, add the one and a quarter cups of orange juice. Immediately following, also add one cup of water to the other ingredients.
- Now, place one-half teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the pot.
- Take one-half teaspoon of cumin and also add that to the mixture.
- Lastly, put four dried cloves into the pot as well.
- Save the salt for the end. If you feel it is needed, salt to taste.
- Now stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the temperature to low. Remove the lid and simmer.
- Simmer the lentil mixture until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Keep the stirring to a minimum.
- As the liquid begins to disappear, check the lentils for their firmness.
- If the lentils are firmer than you like, add the extra half-cup of water.
- Then, continue cooking the lentils until the water is absorbed.
- Serve Hot.
Beyond our Easy Vegan Lentil Recipe
Well, you might have come to this recipe because of your love for lentils, you are a vegan, or perhaps you are looking for a recipe for a vegan guest. If you are unfamiliar with some of the things you need to consider for a vegan guest, then we have another article for you.
Our article, entitled “How to Cook for a Vegan Guest,” touches on some of the things a vegan cannot eat. Items such as dairy and more.
Also included in our article are some other vegan recipes that you may consider preparing.
As usual, this recipe, as well as the other recipes on our site, are completely free. So, if you have a desire to learn more about cooking for a vegan, click the link. If you are familiar with veganism or are one yourself, then click anyway if you want more recipes.
Perhaps you are just interested in more Vegan Recipes. Should that be the case, we can help you with that as well. We have a bunch of free vegan recipes available on www.thevegetariancookingcouple.com.
Here are a few examples of some recipes we have.
We have a Vegan Taco Recipe that is available by clicking the link.
There is also a Vegan Pepper Steak Recipe that uses tempeh as a replacement for meat. Click the link if that recipe sounds appealing to you.
There is also a wonderful Stewed Beets Recipe that uses fresh beets. The fresh beets add such a wonderful flavor to this dish. Feel free to click the Stewed Beets Recipe link if you want to see what the recipe entails.
Now, if you want to see all of our FREE Vegan Recipes, which include ingredients such as potatoes, pasta, peas, eggplants, and so much more, then feel free to click the link below.
How to follow us for Free Recipes
After trying some of our recipes, you may have a desire to follow us. This way, you get every scrumptious recipe as we post them online. The good news, it is super simple to follow the Vegetarian Cooking Couple for our latest recipes.
There are two very easy ways to follow us. One way is to subscribe to our website. Here is the link to Subscribe to The Vegetarian Cooking Couple. Just add your email address in the Subscribe Box. Once you subscribe, our website will automatically email our posts each time we add a new one.
Now, if you are more of a Facebook person, we have you covered as well. Click on the Facebook link for The Vegetarian Cooking Couple. Then, simply click the like button.