Sensational Sweet and Spicy Lentils
Vegetarian lentil recipes are on the top of our list for a hearty and easy to make meal. Our Sensational Sweet and Spicy Lentils Recipe is no exception. What we love about this recipe is how versatile it is. We eat it with nacho chips and also as a side dish. Placing these lentils over a baked potato is also very tasty. The uses for this dish are only as limited as your imagination.
Now, although we tend to focus on the word vegetarian, this recipe happens to vegan. So, whether you are looking for either vegetarian or vegan easy lentil recipes, we have you covered with this Sensational Sweet and Spicy Lentils dish.
Please take a look at this recipe; it may become one of your favorites. Especially true if you are a fan of both a sweet and spicy combination. At the end of this recipe will be a list of others that may interest you. Feel free to take a look.
Sensational Sweet and Spicy Lentils Ingredients
- Olive Oil – Two Tablespoons
- Maple Syrup – 1 ½ Tablespoon
- Tomato Paste – 2 Tablespoons
- Small Onion – Diced
- Red Pepper – 1 Large, Diced
- Garlic – 2 Cloves, Diced
- Paprika – 3/4 Tablespoon, Ground Dry Spice
- Ginger – 1 Teaspoon, Ground Dry Spice
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 ½ Tablespoon
- Turmeric – ½ Teaspoon, Ground Dry Spice
- Cilantro – ½ Bunch Fresh Herb, Removed from Stems and Chopped
- Salt – To Taste
- Coriander – ½ Teaspoon, Ground Dry Spice
- Cumin – 1 Teaspoon, Ground Dry Spice
- Black Pepper – Ground, To taste
- Cayenne Pepper – Up to ½ Teaspoon, Ground Dry Spice (Depending on how hot you want the dish)
- Water – 2 Cups
- Green Lentils – Cup Rinsed
How to Make Lentils
- Start by rinsing the green lentil. Next, boil 2 cups of water on medium heat. Once the water is boiling, add the lentil.
- Now, cook the lentils for 20-30 minutes or until your desired firmness. Then drain off any excess water.
- While the lentils are cooking, wash the half bunch of fresh cilantro and pat dry. Then, remove leaves from stems and chop the leaves. Now set the chopped herb aside.
- Next, dice a small onion and set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the large red pepper; then dice and add to diced onion.
- Dice the three cloves of garlic and add to the other diced items.
- Add the diced onion, pepper, and garlic to a food processor.
- Also, to the processor, add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next, add one and a half tablespoons of maple syrup.
- At this time, add the two tablespoons of tomato paste.
- To the processor, also add one and a half tablespoons of the Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Now is the time to add the spices, starting with a three-fourths tablespoon of paprika.
- Also, add one tablespoon of ground ginger.
- Now add a half teaspoon of turmeric.
- Add the half teaspoon of ground coriander.
- Next, add the one teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Now, this step is where you make this dish mild to very spicy. Add up to one-half teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper. For a milder dish, use one-eight a teaspoon instead. Use up to one-half teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper for a hotter dish.
- Set the food processor on pulse. Keep pulsing until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Put the cooked lentils into a bowl large enough to allow the mixing of ingredients. Add the vegetable mixture to the lentils and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve Hot.
DON’T TRY ANOTHER VEGGIE BURGER UNTIL YOU TRY THIS RECIPE: Nothing beats a homemade vegan veggie burger. It’s always fresh-tasting, and most importantly, you know exactly what is in the veggie burger recipe because you made it yourself. This DIY veggie burger is hearty, tasty, and to us, the best black bean burger we have ever had. When it comes to black bean burger recipes, they are a dime a dozen. Everywhere you look these days, someone has a one for you to either buy or a method for you to make. So many of us are on sensory overload when it comes to veggie burgers. And if you are like us, most you have tried have just been okay and nothing extraordinary.
Through trial and error, we have worked this recipe until we found what we believe to be the best veggie burger we ever had. Click the link above to see the recipe.
FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS VEGAN SPANISH RICE RECIPE: Do you love Spanish Rice Recipes? If you do or have not tried one yet, we have one that we feel will knock your socks off. Our Vegan Spanish Rice Recipe tastes great, is easy to make, and will have you asking for another helping. A Spanish rice and beans dish is tasty and filling. This beans and rice recipe is no exception. The addition of kidney beans adds so much to this dish. Feel free to eat it as a side dish or wrap it in a tortilla. No matter which way you choose to eat this homemade Spanish Rice, it will hit the spot. Click the above link to check out this recipe.
Additional Vegan Recipes
GINGER BROCCOLI RECIPE: We simply LOVE eating broccoli and cannot get enough of it no matter how it’s cooked. Just two days ago, we had steamed broccoli. A couple of days before that, we enjoyed it roasted. To us, broccoli is one of those vegetables that taste great; however, it is prepared. Our Ginger Broccoli Recipe is one of our most favorites to make because it is very versatile. This Vegan recipe can be served as a side dish or place this vegetable on top of rice as a stand-alone meal. Both ways work great. And, both ways are delightful. Click the above link for the recipe.
CRISPY BRUSSEL SPROUTS: Are you wondering how to cook Brussels sprouts? Then this post is for you. There are many ways to cook sprouts. Some of these ways include roasting or baking. While roasted Brussel Sprouts or baked Brussels sprouts can be delightful, our recipe is cooked on the stovetop. In our opinion, this method is quicker and just as good as cooking in the oven. That is why this Crispy Brussel Sprouts with Caraway Seeds side dish is our all-time favorite way to eat this vegetable, as a Vegan Recipe. Click the above link for the recipe.
The Vegetarian Cooking Couple
Thank you for visiting our Sweet and Spicy Lentils Recipe. If you would like to receive recipes as they are posted, please subscribe to our blog here: https://thevegetariancookingcouple.com/